So often, sports-watching parties are filled with our favorite game-time foods: buffalo wings, nachos, pizza... you get the picture. Our husbands love the freedom of eating greasy, fattening foods that go easy with beer. These stuffed mushrooms have the flavor of your favorite mushroom pizza, without the crust and without the guilt!
Roasting the portabella caps in the oven intensifies their flavor. More flavor = more better! You could stuff your mushrooms with any pizza topping that inspires you, whether you are a meat lover or a vegetarian. For this post, I used Italian sausage, artichoke hearts, and spinach. Earlier this month, we made these meatless with the flavors of the Mediterranean.
If you are entertaining, why not try a topping bar! Starting at one side, have your portabellas roasted and cooled. Then include the sauce and bowls of toppings and finally the cheese, assembly-line style. Let your guests customize their own, and see what kind of creations you can come up with!
Pizza Stuffed Portabellas
Serves as many as you would like! I serve 2 caps per person, but with hungry guys you might think about bumping it up to 3 or 4!
- Baby Portabella mushrooms
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Tomato pizza sauce - make your own or use your favorite jarred variety
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Toppings - your choice. I've included some of our favorites:
Pepperoni Artichoke hearts Onions Ham/Canadian Bacon Jalapenos Italian Sausage Spinach Bell pepper, red or green Bacon Olives Spicy Andouille Sausage Feta Cheese Pine Nuts Chicken Tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Remove stems from portabella caps, and scrape out the gills with the side of a spoon.
- Brush both sides of the portabella cap with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, then roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, drain off excess liquid and pat dry with a paper towel. Turn oven to broil.
- Spread a tablespoon of pizza sauce along the inside of each cap and fill with your toppings of choice.
- Top with cheese and pop under the broiler until melted. Enjoy!
Love it? Save it! Pin it!