I press homemade pizza dough out to create a foccacia-style crust. The thicker crust tends to hold all the meatiness of thick Sloppy Joe mix loaded with onions and peppers. For an easy weeknight shortcut, I use a Sloppy Joe seasoning packet and add onion and peppers to the browned ground beef. If you prefer to make your Sloppy Joes from scratch, Diane at Recipes for our Daily Bread has a great recipe.
Sloppy Joe Pizza
For the Sloppy Joe topping:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Sloppy Joe Seasoning Packet
- 6-oz can of tomato paste
- Pizza Dough
- 2 cups shredded cheese, Cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Mozzerella
- Brown ground beef, and drain well. Remove from pan.
- Add diced onion and bell peppers to hot pan, and sauté until softened.
- Return meat to pan, add contents of the seasoning packet, tomato paste, and 1 can-full (6 ounces) of water. I add less water then called for on the seasoning packet to make a thicker sauce to prevent my pizza crust from becoming soggy.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes, until the mixture is hot and thickened.
This pizza brought Sloppy Joes up a notch and received high praise from my kids and husband alike. What are some of your family's favorite dinners?