This recipe is simple enough for a weeknight supper, but impressive enough to serve at your next get-together. Because all the cooking is done in your oven, it can be doubled or tripled, and still cook within the same window of time. This dish is super healthy too, with lean shrimp and vitamin-rich roasted broccoli. This dish gets its flavor impact from lemon, red pepper flakes, and a drizzle of good-for-you olive oil. I serve it over orzo with a sprinkle of feta cheese and pine nuts to make it a complete meal that satisfies everyone.
Roasted Shrimp and Broccoli
- 1 pound raw shrimp
- 1 pound broccoli, about 2 crowns, cut lengthwise to utilize both stem and florets
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper, season to taste
- Preheat oven to 425. Toss shrimp and broccoli with a good drizzle (2 tablespoons) of olive oil, salt, pepper, zest and juice of one lemon, and red pepper flakes.
- Lay out on a baking sheet, shrimp on one side and broccoli on the other. If you are making a larger batch, you can put broccoli on one and shrimp on another. There is a good reason for this step, I promise.
- Roast for 13-15 minutes. At this point, remove the shrimp and check the doneness of the broccoli. I prefer my broccoli to be very al dente, so I take mine out at this point. If you like a softer roasted broccoli, leave it in for 5-10 more minutes. If you separated your shrimp and broccoli, it is very quick to take off the sheet pan while leaving your broccoli put.
- When the broccoli is done to your liking, combine the shrimp, broccoli, and any juices remaining on the sheet pan, and serve. Yum!
|Broccoli and shrimp on sheet tray, separated, before roasting|
Printer Friendly Version