Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Green Bean and Tomato Salad

Here in the Bay Area, we have over 75 Farmer's Markets open to the public throughout the week. That gives locals plenty of opportunities to shop locally and seasonally. In the summertime, the number of markets are at their peak, and so are the fruits and vegetables. I partnered up with some other local food bloggers to create a Dinner Party filled with finds from our local Farmer's Markets, and I offered to bring the salad. Take a look at what I made and don't forget to check out the other courses!

When it comes to summer, I have salads on the brain. I don't want to be cooking heavy meals when the temperature spikes. Fresh vegetables and lean proteins tossed with a tangy dressing keep you cool and comfortable, and looking good in your swimsuit. This salad is fast to whip together, and can be made ahead of time, making it perfect for your next potluck.


I took a combination of farm-fresh green beans and tomatoes, and paired it with a tangy shallot vinaigrette. For added protein I tossed in some chickpeas, making it perfect for lunch or dinner. Dress this salad ahead of time and let marinate for up to 4 hours ahead of time, or enjoy right away!


Green Bean and Tomato Salad
 
Ingredients
  • 1 pound green beans
  • 1/2 pound tomatoes
  • 1 can garbanzo beans
  • Dijon Shallot Vinaigrette, recipe below

Directions
  1. Trim stem end of green beans. Blanch in salted boiling water for 90 seconds to 2 minutes. Shock in ice water to stop the cooking, and drain well.
  2. Slice tomatoes into wedges. Drain garbanzo beans and rinse well.
  3. Toss green beans, tomatoes, and garbanzo beans together with vinaigrette, and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Dijon Shallot Vinaigrette
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • Juice from 1/2 lemon
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1/4-1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
    Combine minced shallot, mustard, lemon juice, and vinegar. Whisk in olive oil to emulsify. Season to taste.

Curious to see how the rest of our dinner party goes?

The Heritage Cook starting out our party with appetizers! See her Caprese Skewers.

Onto the main course: Crazy Foodie Stunts created a fabulous Roast Pork Tenderloin with Mushroom Marsala Sauce and Nosh My Way brought her Loaded Mashed Cauliflower.

And don't forget dessert! Fearless Dining didn't take any shortcuts when she wowed us with her Vanilla Bean Infused Cheesecake with Peaches in Dark Rum Sauce.

6 comments:

  1. Yep. I have another vinaigrette recipe that uses Dijon too. I like it because it keeps the oil and vinegar from separating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee, this salad looks delicious. I have never thought to blanch green beans and use them in a salad. I am trying this at our next pool party :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love that this is such a simple recipe that truly showcases the beauty, freshness and flavors of the ingredients. It's also very zebra-friendly in that I feel totally confident I can make a sensational salad, even though I'm all hooves. Thanks so much for posting this, Renee -- I can't wait to share it with all my favorite kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This salad is beautiful and sounds delicious. What a great way to get a fresh, cool meal during the hottest summer days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the mix of veggies in this salad...it also has all the things my youngest veggie eater likes too. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for organizing this wonderful virtual dinner party. I love your simple salad idea - especially the chickpeas for added protein. And tomatoes and green beans are a match made in heaven.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts! I read each and every comment, so feel free to leave a comment at any time :)