Friday, March 7, 2014

Kitchen Confessions - Fess Up Friday

Thank goodness it's Friday! I don't know about you, but I'm ready for the weekend. S is fully engrossed in "let me do it myself" so more messes for Mommy. Thankfully he's pretty willing to grab a broom and start helping, after he makes a total mess, of course! This morning was Frosted Mini Wheats. He was trying to pour himself some cereal and missed the bowl. Cereal and bottom-of-the-bag crumbs went all over the kitchen table. Instead of making a big deal about him making a mess, I calmly grabbed the broom and started sweeping. I even let him wipe the crumbs to the floor so I could sweep them up, he got a kick out of that!

Fess Up #1: I burned the bacon last night. So much for our BLT burgers with avocado, instead we had cheeseburgers with tomato and avocado, which was still super yummy. My bacon wasn't a little burned, it was black.  I was trying to cook it on the stovetop, while I was cooking the hamburgers and fry the tater tots. I put a cover over it so it wouldn't splatter and forgot about it. You know the saying "out of sight, out of mind"? Well, that's me almost every time I try to cook bacon. No wonder I prefer to cook my bacon in the microwave.

Fess Up #2: My kitchen is a disaster right now. By Friday morning, it has a week's worth of splatters, streaks, spills, and Mini Wheats crumbs (maybe its time for a dog?). My kitchen is a workhorse. On average, I cook two to three times a day, so there is always dirty dishes and a messy stove. After cooking, I'll clear and wipe the table, load the dishwasher, and run a broom over the floor. I typically leave the big stuff for the mornings, when I have more energy. Some nights, like last night, I don't even clean up after dinner because I'll fall asleep putting S down for bed.

Fridays are my days to really clean my kitchen. I make sure that the pots and pans and other non-dishwasher things are washed and put away. I remove the burners off the stove and clean the stovetop, and I remove everything off the counter and scrub the tiles. I also try to clean the floor and mop, although I'll admit this step doesn't always get done. 

I took a break from cleaning to write this, so now back to the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts! I read each and every comment, so feel free to leave a comment at any time :)