Thursday, February 5, 2015

Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

Valentine's day is around the corner, and I asked fans on Facebook whether I should post a recipe for cookies or rice krispies. They came back with a mixed response, so I said I would share a cookie recipe this week, and share a fun red and white rice krispie recipe next week. Thinking about the colors and emotions that Valentine's day conveys, I knew I wanted to include something red in my cookies and include warming spices such as cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger. I had been tinkering with a cranberry oatmeal cookie recipe for some time now, and I decided it would be the perfect treat for Valentine's day.


If you are not familiar with cardamom, it is spice used frequently in Scandinavian and Eastern Indian cuisines, and is one of the prominent spices of Chai tea, and is said to be an aphrodisiac in some cultures. I love using it in baked goods and in ice creams, it pairs extremely well with citrus and tart fruits, and is a welcome compliment to other baking spices.



My kids can eat dried cranberries by the handful, and actually prefer their tartness to raisins, so these cookies are perfect to bake and share with them. If you have kids that enjoy to be in the kitchen, this is a great recipe to let them help mix, bake, and taste. To ease the stress of baking with kids, I set up all the ingredients before inviting them into the kitchen. Make sure they are aware that the oven is hot, and it is grown-up's job to transfer the cookie trays into and out of the oven, and always use caution and your own judgment when baking with kids.

 
 
Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
Makes 2 dozen cookies (printer friendly version)
 
Ingredients
  • 1 c (2 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 3/4 c granulated sugar
  • 3/4 c brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 3 c rolled oats
  • 1 c dried cranberries
  • 1/2 c golden raisins (optional)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Cream butter and both sugars together until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla to combine.
  3. Combine dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda, and spices). Add to mixer.
  4. Fold in oats, cranberries, and golden raisins. Stir until just combined.
  5. Using a medium-sized cookie disher (or 2 spoons), drop dough onto baking sheets leaving 2 inches between cookie.
  6. Bake for 14-15 minutes, rotating halfway through.
  7. Let cool for 10 minutes on cookie sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.
 
These Cranberry Oatmeal cookies allowed us to talk about counting and measuring, and discovering  different ingredients and new foods through our senses of touch, smell, and taste. He enjoyed smelling the different spices and enjoyed tasting the golden raisins. In fact, he was hesitant to dump the rest of the golden raisins into the mixer, he liked them that well! And the other part he loved about baking cookies...
 

 

Licking the paddle! Who doesn't love that? I hope you try this cookie recipe with your kids soon!

 

Pin it!
 
Tell me: What should I bake up next? Or answer this: What is your biggest baking hang up?

 

The Pin Junkie

3 comments:

  1. Hi Renee, I love oat biscuits and these look absolutely delicious. I have three boys and they too like cranberries, in fact they like all dried fruit, so much so that I have to hide all the dried fruit just so I have enough for baking. I'm sure they'll love these, I'm pinning the recipe to my Joy of Baking Pinterest board. In answer to your question I guess my biggest baking hang up has to be bread. I made some years ago and it came out perfectly, but now it's just doughy in the middle, not sure if it's me or my oven. Diane @ Mrs U Makes

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so yummy!! Thanks for sharing your cranberry oatmeal cookies at The Pin Junkie! They're being featured at this week's party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll be over in a bit to check out the party :)

      Delete

I love to hear your thoughts! I read each and every comment, so feel free to leave a comment at any time :)